Monday, January 12, 2015

WHITE CHILI WITH...[YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT'S IN IT] + CHILI-SPICED ROASTED CAULIFLOWER










Disclaimer: If you're my wonderful husband who thought, "Maybe I'll give this post a read", please stop and do us both a favor by exiting out of this blog immediately. I'd rather not spoil this soup you love with a list of ingredients. Thanks and love you!  

Phew! That was close.

I shamelessly try to trick my husband in a number of meals. Okay, most of them. If you've been a guest around our table, chances are I've whispered to you the ingredients and begged you not to say a word. My husband has so many amazing qualities and one major Achilles heal - he has this thing about squash. Essentially he hates them. All of them. Which of course simultaneously breaks my heart and encourages me to see how often I can get him to eat them without his knowing.

Recently I've been working on how to do chili without tomatoes and beef and including [a lot of] winter squash. I've been mulling over different combinations and finally landed on the one you'll find here. The true test for any recipe I post is: will the man of the house eat it?

Guess what?

He emptied his bowl.

AND said the soup was amazing - maybe his favorite.

AND I remain at large, squash secret safely withheld.

So, if you're looking to change up your chili give this recipe a try! Below I provide a variety of add-in options and note the version I use at home.

May you survive these short, cold, snowy days with a bowl of warm goodness in hand and a mischievous twinkle in your eye.

And please, please! don't tell my husband.

[WHITE CHILI WITH WINTER SQUASH BASE RECIPE]
Serves 6

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 T. extra virigin, unrefined coconut oil
3 large garlic cloves [or 5 smaller ones], minced
1 lb. ground turkey [or omit for vegan/vegetarian and add more beans further in recipe]
3- 4 c. chopped vegetables of choice [peppers, carrots, daikon radish, sweet potato, corn, greens. I typically use carrots and daikon radish]
1 T. cumin-coriander blend*
1 T. dried cilantro
1 T. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano
2 - 3 tsp. sea salt, to taste
few grinds of black pepper
1 quart bone or vegetable broth of choice [homemade lamb bone broth is my favorite]
2 - 3 c. water or vegetable broth [start with 2 cups and add more if needed]
4 c. butternut [or other winter squash] puree
4 c. cooked Northern white beans [or 2, 15-ounce cans. I like Eden brand as they are one of the few who soak their beans overnight prior to cooking and canning]

Garnish options: fresh cilantro, cheese of choice, Greek yogurt, corn chips.

Saute onion in coconut oil over medium-low heat until onion is soft and translucent. Add garlic and saute an additional minute or two. Add ground turkey and cook until meat is not longer raw. Stir in cumin + coriander blend, cilantro, chili powder, oregano, sea salt, and pepper. Saute for a minute, stirring frequently. Pour in broth, water, chopped vegetables, and squash puree. Bring to boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add white beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly [5 minutes] and serve.

*In a dry blender, food processor, or spice grinder blend into a fine powder 1 part whole coriander seed to 2 parts whole cumin seed.


This may be my two-year old's favorite veggie these days. A good friend of mine has us hooked on her Tahini Roasted Cauliflower. This got me thinking about other flavors that might be nice. Turns out chili spice is fantastic. This is a real no-fuss, "anyone can do it" recipe. Enjoy!

[CHILI-SPICED ROASTED CAULIFLOWER RECIPE]

1 large head [or 2 small heads] cauliflower
2 T. coconut oil, melted
appx. 1 tsp. chili powder
appx. 2 tsp cumin-coriander blend*
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut cauliflower into medium-size chunks. Rinse and pat dry. Place cauliflower chunks on stoneware baking sheet or parchment-lined cookie pan. Toss with spices, salt, and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. If cauliflower is beginning to brown and becoming crispy along the edges and bottom, remove from oven and serve. Otherwise continue to bake for up to 15 more minutes [in 5 minute increments] or until browned and beginning to get crispy.



No comments: